Photo courtesy of Southern Arkansas University
Chase Spruiell (4) is a junior guard at Southern Arkansas
University in Magnolia.
Former athletes continue careers in college
By David Jenkins
Have you ever wondered what happened to those former Princeton athletes who signed to play a sport in college?
After some extensive research, I was able to come up with a list of the ones who have signed to play at either the junior college or university level.
If you know if any others I may have missed, send the information to email@example.com.
• Isaac Marrufo is a junior wide receiver at Southern Arkansas University in Magnolia, Ark.
• T.J. Mead is a junior center at Southern Arkansas University.
• Colton Clay was a linebacker at Henderson State in Arkadelphia, Ark.
• David Lopez was a lineman at Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, Ark.
• Trevor Schilling is a freshman quarterback at Henderson State.
• Zach Rice is a freshman offensive lineman at Texas A&M University-Commerce.
• Stephen Young is a freshman linebacker-punter at Austin College in Sherman.
• Jake Abbott is a sophomore pitcher at Grayson County College in Denison.
• Matt Wingo is a freshman pitcher at North Central Texas College in Gainesville.
• Danny Morris is a graduate of Tarleton State where he was a pitcher.
• Hayley Fields is a junior guard at Palm Beach Atlantic University in Palm Beach, Fla. So far this season she leads the team in minutes played (314), three-pointers made (29), three-point field goal attempts (66), points (104) and scoring average (11.6 points per game).
• Whitney Coffey is a junior guard-forward at Southeastern Oklahoma State University in Durant, Okla. Prior to that, she played at Lamar University in Beaumont.
• Elyse Ivy is a freshman forward at the College of Eastern Utah in Price.
• James Erger is a sophomore guard at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio.
• Chase Spruiell is a junior guard at Southern Arkansas University in Magnolia. He transferred from St. Edwards in Austin. Spruiell leads Southern Arkansas in three-pointers made (12), rebounds (45), rebound average (5.6 per game), tied for first in steals (14), offensive rebounds (21) and tied for first in block shots (12).
• Bryce Ivy was a redshirt sophomore guard at Angelina College in Lufkin. As a freshman he attended Seminole State Junior College in Seminole, Okla.
• Rachel Robertson is a sophomore middle blocker at Texas A&M University-Commerce. She was named to the all-Lone Star Conference second-team for the 2010 season.
• Holly Wallace is a sophomore outside hitter at Vernon College in Wichita Falls.
• Tara Thompson is a freshman setter at Trinity Valley Community College in Athens.
• Britnie Weddle is sophomore first baseman transfer to Oklahoma Panhandle State University in Goodwell. Prior to that she played the same position at Vernon College.
• Shelby Ballenger is a freshman pitcher at Trinity Valley Community College.
• Tiffany Long is a graduate of Washburn University in Topeka, Kan. where she was a pitcher.
• Mitchell Driver is a junior at South Plains College in Levelland. He also runs on the track and field team during the cross country offseason.
• Justin Nickel was a runner at Clarendon College in Clarendon.
• Deanne Nunez is a sophomore at Clarendon College.
Track and Field
• Joel Day is a freshman at A&M-Commerce that competes in the sprinting event.